The 2016 General Assembly ratified and Governor Pat McCrory signed into law HB 1030 (2016 Appropriations Act) earlier this summer. UNC Asheville employees in regular (e.g., benefits eligible) full-time, part-time, and time-limited positions, received their 1.5% legislative salary increase in their August paychecks based on their June 30 salaries. Eligible employees in regular positions, as outlined above, who were employed on or after July 1 received the 1.5% increase to their base salary.
Lump Sum Across-the-Board Bonus
In addition, HB 1030 provides an across-the-board bonus which will be implemented in October 2016. This one-time payment will not be added to base pay and is not subject to retirement deductions. Eligible SHRA and EHRA faculty and staff actively employed as of September 1, 2016 will be awarded this bonus in the amount of one-half of one percent (0.50%) of their annual base salary as of September 1. The bonus calculation excludes any pay received in addition to base pay (e.g., salary supplements, overloads, interim increases, temporary pay, etc). The following guidelines apply to this bonus:
- To be eligible, the employee must be in an SHRA or EHRA full-time or part-time, benefits eligible position; probationary or time-limited employees are also eligible, as are 9, 10, or 11-month employees. Temporary employees are not eligible.
- The bonus will be pro-rated for regular part-time employees.
- The across-the-board bonus does not apply to employees separated from State service prior to September 1, 2016, or to employees hired on or after September 2, 2016.
- Employees on paid or unpaid leave of absence (LOA) effective September 1, 2016, are eligible for the across-the-board bonus. Employees on unpaid LOA will receive the bonus upon return to work.
- Employees are eligible for the bonus without consideration of performance ratings or disciplinary actions.
SHRA Merit Bonus
In addition to the 0.50% across-the-board bonus described above, eligible SHRA staff, employed as of January 1, 2016, will receive an additional lump sum bonus payment based on meritorious performance. It will be paidin October 2016 to eligible SHRA employees. This one-time payment will not be added to base pay and is not subject to retirement deductions.
The Office of State Human Resources (OSHR) established two levels of bonuses based on the meritorious performance of the employee. SHRA employees who received an overall performance rating of Outstanding will receive a one-time merit bonus payment of $700 in October. Employees who received an overall performance rating of Very Good or Good will receive a one-time merit bonus payment of $475 in October. Employees with an overal performance rating of Below Good or Unsatisfactory are not eligible for the bonus. In addition, employees without a performance evaluation rating or who have an active disciplinary action on October 1, 2016, are not eligible for the merit-based bonus.
EHRA Merit Bonus
EHRA faculty and staff are eligible to receive a one-time merit bonus, as approved by the State legislature and in accordance with parameters established by the UNC System General Administration (GA).
The Chancellors of each University were authorized to allocate a bonus pool that could not exceed 1% of the institutions’ salaries for eligible EHRA employees as of September 1, 2016. Chancellors had the discretion to determine to whom and how that pool would be allocated, based on meritorious performance, in compliance with the following eligibility criteria established by GA:
• EHRA faculty and staff must be actively employed in full- or part-time regular (e.g., benefits eligible) positions.
• They must have at least six (6) months of active employment as of October 1, 2016.
• They cannot either be in receipt of an EHRA end of appointment notice or working a final notice as of the date the bonus is to be paid.
• No individual bonus can exceed 2% of the employee’s base salary as of September 1, 2016.
Eligible EHRA faculty and staff will receive a lump sum bonus payment based on meritorious performance, which will be paid in November 2016. This one-time payment will not be added to base pay and is not subject to retirement deductions.
For additional information, please contact Jaime Head, Classification & Compensation Manager, at 828-350-4587 or Douglas Luke, Director of Academic Budgeting, at 828-251-6502.