Who we are:
A Unique Culture: everything we are, do, and hope to achieve at UNC Asheville is driven by our mission. We respond to the conditions and concerns of the contemporary world both as individuals and as a university, and incorporate economic, social and environmental sustainability into our institutional practices and curriculum.
The Office of Human Resources provides and coordinates consultative services for all managers and employees to promote an environment where all:
- are treated fairly and respectfully,
- communicate openly with one another,
- establish and heighten mutual trust and acceptance within the campus community,
- are contributing and fully involved in their work,
- understand and are committed to UNC Asheville’s mission, and
- work cohesively and together as a team.
Commitment to Service Excellence:
We are committed to the following strategies to foster an environment in which we add value to the University:
- We will strive to align our services with the University’s mission and values and continuously evaluate our services through the eyes of our customers.
- We will embrace a “judgment-based” approach to Human Resources administration (and move away from a historical “rule-based” approach to HR).
- We will advise, but we will not direct. We will serve, but not regulate. We will “look for ways to say yes,” with multiple levels of review cascading up to the chief HR officer before we say no.
- We will share our knowledge and judgment, but without supplanting managers’ judgment for our own.
- We will maintain appropriate internal audit and public accountability mechanisms and satisfy external stakeholder requirements, but will do so in the least intrusive manner possible.