Blue Cross Blue Shield State Health Plan/NC Flex Plans
UNC Asheville offers medical insurance through the North Carolina Blue Cross Blue Shield (NCBCBS) State Health Plan and supplemental insurance policies through the NC Flex Program.
Generally, there are three times when you can enroll or make changes to your benefit elections:
- As a newly hired/eligible faculty or staff member
- After experiencing a qualifying life event
- During annual enrollment
For health plans, you may enroll or make changes within 30 calendar days of eligibility or life event effective date. You may take up to 60 calendar days to choose a mandatory retirement plan. It is to your advantage to take prompt action to avoid large retroactive payroll deduction amounts.
For new employees or those with qualifying life events, click the button below:
Your username and password will be the same information you use to access your UNC Asheville computer/email or OnePort login.
Please Note: CVS Caremark is our pharmacy benefit manager; you are not required to purchase your prescriptions from CVS. You can continue to use the pharmacy of your choice.
Resources and Tips
- Review information carefully.
- Take time to plan.
- Don’t wait until the last minute!
- Review, add and/or update beneficiaries in the enrollment portal for applicable plans.
- Review MetLife life insurance information.
- For online enrollment, don’t forget to SAVE before logging off.
- Print/save confirmation statement from online enrollment or record date/time of your phone enrollment or save screenshot from app enrollment.
Notice to Non-Full-Time Individuals Enrolled In Our Medical Plan
As a large employer, the Affordable Care Act requires UNC Asheville to prepare a Form 1095-C for all individuals enrolled in our employer sponsored self-insured medical plan. The distribution requirements changed with the 2020 reporting year. The University is no longer required to mail the form to any individual who is not a full-time employee for any month of the calendar year. However, if you were enrolled in our self-insured medical plan, you may request a paper version by contacting HR in one of the following:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: CPO 1450
- For questions you can call: 828.251.6605