EHRA Staff Performance Evaluations
Regular performance evaluations provide an opportunity for employees to understand how their responsibilities and performance expectations align with the goals and priorities of their work unit and with the University’s strategic plan. It also provides a defined cycle of review for managers and employees to assess employee success toward meeting operational needs and professional development goals.
- EHRA Performance Evaluation Form 2018-2019
- EHRA Performance Evaluation Instructions
- EHRA Performance Evaluation Policy
Evaluations should be submitted by the supervisors to the Vice Chancellor's/Senior Staff Member's office by July 31st.
Performance management training/review sessions are available for EHRA Staff and Supervisors of EHRA Staff. To register for one of these sessions, please RSVP to email@example.com.
Monday, July 1 from 9:00-10:00 a.m. in Brown 218/219
Wednesday, July 3 from 9:30-10:30 a.m. in Brown 218/219
Monday, July 8 from 2:00 -3:30 p.m. in Brown 218/219
Tuesday, July 9 from 9:00-10:00 a.m. in Brown 218/219
Wednesday, July 10 from 10:00-11:00 a.m. in Brown 217
Monday, July 15 from 11:00 a.m. -12:00 noon in Brown 218/219
Tuesday, July 23 from 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. in Highsmith Union 223
The UNC System Office adopted the system-wide Regulations on Annual Performance Appraisals for Staff Exempt from the North Carolina Human Resources Act (EHRA Non-Faculty), hereafter “Regulations,” in May 2017. Highlights of the Regulations include:
- Assigning an overall rating of Exceeding Expectations, Meeting Expectations or Not Meeting Expectations for each employee.
- Reporting performance ratings to the System Office no later than August 31st of each year.
- Use of performance appraisal/evaluation instrument(s) that contain specific elements defined by the UNC System Office. (See details under Format section).
In the 2018-2019 cycle, UNC Asheville’s rating scales have been updated to the 3-point rating scale required by the UNC Regulation (i.e., Exceeding, Meets and Does Not Meet).
Other aspects of the current performance management appraisal process (review cycle, identification of performance/professional development goals and a written assessment against these standards, an in-person meeting with employee to review performance) remain unchanged.
Submit completed Performance Evaluation to Division Senior Staff Member
Supervisor reviews evaluation with employee and provides employee a final signed copy
Senior Staff Review of Performance Evaluations
Performance Evaluation Forms due to Human Resources
Establish goals for next year's performance cycle (does not need to be submitted to HR)
HR submits evaluation ratings to UNC System Office
Performance Evaluation Cycle Details
The annual performance evaluation (or appraisal) covers the period from the previous July 1st to June 30th of the following year.
- EHRA staff members who have been employed for at least six months of the evaluation cycle (i.e., hired before January 1) must receive an annual performance evaluation.
- Currently employed EHRA staff members hired after January 1 must have goals established for the upcoming fiscal year.
- EHRA staff members hired during the fiscal year should have goals established within one month of hire.
- Supervisors of employees who have had a supervisory change in their present position during the evaluation year should consult with the prior supervisor so that they can contribute to the year-end evaluation whenever possible. If this is not possible for whatever reason, the present supervisor should note this in the evaluation and undertake their best effort to consult a next-level supervisor within the work unit who would best be in a position to assess or comment on the performance of the employee prior to the present supervisor assuming supervision. Ultimately, the present supervisor is responsible for assuring completion and delivery of the annual performance evaluation under these circumstances.
- Evaluations should be submitted by the supervisors to the Vice Chancellor's/Senior Staff Member's office by July 31st.
- The Vice Chancellor's/Senior Staff Member's office should forward the evaluations to Human Resources by August 15th.
- Human Resources must provide the overall rating for each EHRA staff employee to the UNC System Office by August 31st.