Resources for Supervisors
Through collaboration and consultation, the Office of Human Resources supports the UNC Asheville community in identifying and responding to its changing needs. We are committed to enhancing the contributions of all employees, making it possible to attract and retain our most valuable asset – people.
Prevention is the best tool to eliminate harassment in the workplace. It is important for supervisors to establish, publicize, and enforce anti-harassment policies and complaint procedures.
Online Employment System
Use the online employment system to review applications for both temporary and regular vacancies.
Hiring Temporary Staff
Hiring Full-Time Regular Staff
For Hiring Managers
Your Role in Staffing the University
You play an essential role in creating and developing a workforce able to support the University’s purpose and mission. And, once you’ve hired a new employee, you may be the single most important person to influence the success and job satisfaction of that individual.
Your role and responsibility in staffing and building our workforce includes:
- Hiring the right people in the most appropriate way. This includes ensuring that we attract the best candidates, complying with laws and University policies that govern the hiring process, and including applicants who represent diverse perspectives and backgrounds.
- Orienting and onboarding new staff to provide each new employee with the environment and the support needed to feel welcomed and part of the University community from the very first day.
- Providing ongoing opportunities for your staff members—individually and collectively—to grow and develop in order to perform their jobs effectively and make outstanding contributions that support the faculty, staff, students, alumni and surrounding community.
- Encouraging an open and inclusive environment in which individual contributions and points of view are valued and respected.
New Hire Dates
Generally, hire dates for regular positions are the first and the fifteen of the month. However, sometimes those dates fall on a weekend or holiday, so these dates can change.
SHRA Performance Management
SHRA Performance Management
The UNC System's SHRA Performance Appraisal Program aligns perfomance management practices amongst the University of North Carolina System institutions. The program places emphasis on both institutional goals and individual goals, standardizes the categories for evaluation, and promotes effective communication between employees and supervisors.
Highlights of the UNC Performance Program for SHRA Staff
- Regular performance conversations to promote engagement and retention of our employees
- A synchronized process to clearly align and connect employees with goals and deliverable outcomes
- A contemporary design that includes both individual and institutional goals
- A standardized 3-point rating scale – Exceeding Expectations, Meeting Expectations, Not Meeting Expectations
- Annual performance evaluation period is from April 1 - March 31.
Guiding Policies and Links
Humana Online Tools for Managers
Click on Tools for Managers to explore articles and find resources to help you in your role as a manager.
Online access: username: uncasheville