NC 457(b) Plans

The North Carolina Public Employee Deferred Compensation Plan, provided under Section 457 of the Internal Revenue Code as created by North Carolina State Statute, is overseen by the State Treasurer’s Office and a Board of Trustees. The Plan’s Board has contracted with Prudential to administer this supplemental retirement savings plan.

Contributions can be made on pre-tax and/or after-tax through a Roth account.

Who is Eligible to Enroll?

All North Carolina public employees are eligible to participate in the State’s 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan.  This includes full-time, part-time or temporary employees and rehired retired employees.

How Do I Enroll?

Eligible employees may enroll in the NC 457(b) plan time. Employees may obtain enrollment information by contacting the local NC 457(b) Prudential representative.  The representative can assist you with enrolling in the plan and answer any questions you may have about the plan.  UNC Asheville’s representative is:

Deborah Rapetski

Commonly Used Forms:

NC 457(b) New Enrollment Form

NC 457(b) Address and Name Change Form

NC 457(b) Allocation/Contribution Change Form

NC 457(b) One Time Contribution Form

NC 457(b) Beneficiary Designation Form

How Does the Plan Work?

Your Supplemental Retirement Plan Decision Guide provides information (including a comparison chart) about all of the supplemental retirement plans available to eligible faculty and staff.

Note: Combined, 401(k) and 403(b) contributions cannot exceed the federal annual maximum contribution limit; however, additional contributions may be made to the 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan as there is a separate limit for this plan.

Other Resources


Call the Prudential Service Center at 866-627-5267, or contact a member of the UNC Asheville Benefits team for additional information: 828-251-6605.