October 2023 Legislative Increase Update
The FY 2023-2024 budget bill includes permanent salary increases. The University has received final guidance from UNC System Office, Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM), and Office of State Human Resources (OSHR) regarding the increase.
Employees who were employed in a permanent (benefits eligible) position at UNC Asheville on June 30, 2023 are eligible for a 4% legislative salary increase with an effective date of July 1, 2023. The increase will be processed in the October payroll, retroactive to July 1, 2023.
For more information, please review the Frequently Asked Questions document.
On Thursday, February 16, 2023, the State Human Resources Commission approved revisions to the University SHRA Employee Grievance Policy. The revisions are effective April 1, 2023.
The policy is being updated to:
- Conform to changes to maintain alignment with proposed revisions to the agency grievance policy.
- Add information related to coverage for university law enforcement offices as provided in by NCGS 126-5(c16). Due to the continuing protections under Article 8, UNC LEOs retain due process rights under Commission-approved disciplinary and grievance policies.
State Employees Combined Campaign (SECC) Begins October 17th
We are excited to announce the beginning of the annual State Employees Combined Campaign. The SECC was established in 1984 as a federated campaign allowing state employees to support charities that are reviewed and approved for participation annually. The UNC Asheville family has a long tradition of giving back to the community in so many ways. Over the past 5 years, we have donated more than $16,000 to the charities that mean the most to us through this campaign. This year’s campaign will run October 17th-November 11th.
You will receive an email directly from the SECC with information on how to make a pledge to the charity of your choice. Employees can make a one-time gift or a recurring gift through payroll deduction. Payroll deductions would begin in January 2023 and the minimum starts at only $3 a month.
Not sure which charity to support? See below resources for guidance or visit https://www.ncsecc.org/find-a-charity/ for a complete list of vetted charities.
Every employee that pledges during the campaign window (10/17-11/11) will be entered in a drawing for the chance to win a gift card or UNCA swag. Drawings will be conducted after the conclusion of each week.
Thank you for Making a Difference Together through the SECC!
August 2022 News
Governor Cooper issued Executive Order 267 on August 15, 2022, declaring an end to the COVID-19
State of Emergency. Several of the personnel emergency provisions available during the state of
emergency have or will end soon, including the NC COVID Administrative Leave. More details are
COVID Booster Incentive Leave
In May 2022, Governor Cooper issued Executive Order #257 (“Establishing an Incentive
Program to Encourage State Employees to Receive Their COVID-19 Booster Shot”). Receiving
a booster is entirely voluntary; employees are not required to participate in this program.
SHRA and EHRA staff in leave-earning positions who receive their COVID-19 booster shot on
or before August 31, 2022 are eligible for eight hours (pro-rated for part-time employees) of
COVID Booster Incentive Leave.
To participate in this leave program, employees must provide proof of receiving a COVID-
19 booster by August 31, 2022. The booster shot documentation can be uploaded using this
As with other types of leave, supervisor approval is needed before the leave can be taken.
The leave should be recorded on the Booster Incentive Leave Taken line of the leave
This leave is available only for the first booster shot received, and the leave must be taken by
March 31, 2023. Click here for more details.
Personal Observance Leave
On Monday, June 6, 2022, Governor Cooper issued Executive Order 262 (“Employee Leave to
Recognize a Day of Cultural, Religious, or Personal Significance”). President Hans has
authorized the UNC System institutions to provide this paid Personal Observance Leave to all
leave-earning staff and faculty, effective immediately.
The leave may be used for any single day of personal significance, which includes, but is not
limited to, days of cultural or religious importance.
Under this provision, 8 hours of paid leave are available annually on a calendar-year basis to
permanent, probationary, and time-limited employees; leave is pro-rated for part-time
employees. As with other types of leave, supervisory approval is needed before the leave can be
used. If this leave is not used, it expires at the end of the calendar year and is not paid out. Click
here for more details.
The Banner Leave System has been updated to include the Personal Observance Leave option.
This leave option has been abbreviated to Pers Observance Leave Taken on the leave
For questions about the new leave options, please email email@example.com.
For questions about recording leave taken, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
July 2022 Legislative Increase Update
The budget approved by Governor Cooper for Fiscal Year 2022-2023 includes an across-the-board 3.5% legislative increase for eligible employees. The UNC System Annual Raise Process Guidelines established the eligibility requirements for the mandatory legislative salary increase.
Key Highlights regarding the 3.5% Increase:
- The increase will be processed in the August payroll, retroactive to July 1, 2022.
- Faculty and staff in permanent (benefits-eligible) positions on June 30, 2022 and active employees in July 2022 are eligible for the 3.5% increase.
- The salary increase will be calculated on the June 30, 2022 base salary.
- Employees will receive a letter via email notifying them of the specific amount of their increase by the end of August.
More details about the legislative increase are available in the Legislative Increase Frequently Asked Questions.
Spring 2022 News
Legislative Salary Increases
- The recently enacted North Carolina Budget Bill for Fiscal Year 2021-22 includes both legislative salary increases and bonuses for eligible state employees (EHRA and SHRA).The state-funded COVID-19 bonuses were included on the December 2021 paychecks, and the legislative salary increases will be included in the January 31, 2022 paychecks. Eligibility for the COVID-19 Bonus
- All permanent employees who were employed on December 1, 2021, were eligible to receive a $1,000 bonus.
- All permanent employees who were employed on December 1, 2021, with an annualized base salary of $75,000 or less, were eligible to receive an additional $500 COVID-19 bonus.
- Sworn law enforcement officers were eligible to receive the $500 COVID-19 bonus regardless of base salary.
- Bonuses will be pro-rated for employees who work less than full time.
Eligibility for the Legislative Salary Increase (LSI)
- An across-the-board legislative increase of 2.5% for FY 2021-2022 is also included in the state budget. The LSI will be calculated based on the June 30, 2021 base salary.
- Employees who were employed in a permanent position on or before June 30, 2021 and on December 31, 2021, are eligible for the 2.5% increase, which will be reflected in their January 1, 2022 base salary and retroactive to July 1, 2021.
- Eligible, permanent employees will receive a lump sum payment reflecting the increase for the period of July 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021.
- This payment will be made in the January 31, 2022 payroll.
A list of frequently asked questions is available on the Human Resources website.
Fall 2021 Tuition Waiver Deadline
- The deadline for submitting tuition waiver applications for classes to be taken at UNC Asheville for Fall 2021 is: Friday, August 20, 2021. Tuition Waiver Applications should be submitted to the Office of Human Resources, Phillips Hall 217, or sent via campus mail to Human Resources, CPO 1450.*Note: Employees must meet the requirement for admission to the university and be duly admitted by the Office of Admissions to participate in the tuition waiver program. For program guidelines and the application form, please click here.
CAPTRUST UNC System Wide Virtual Meetings
- UNC Virtual Meeting Announcement and Scheduler November 2021
- How to-HTML email
Communication & Education Update
- November 2021 FE Strategies for staying on track_ADA
- November 2021 FE Webinar FlyerADA