Information for Student Employees

Please note, dining services (Chartwells) and the Bookstore are separate employers from UNC Asheville.  They each have their own Human Resources department.

New Student Employees

Congratulations!  We are excited to welcome you to the UNC Asheville student employment experience!

In order to complete the employment process and before you are authorized to work, you must complete the paperwork listed below and schedule an appointment with Human Resources. You may not work until all paperwork and original document(s) for the Form I-9 have been submitted.


Form I-9:
Link for online Form I-9. Complete the first page only.  When you open the form, you will only be able to complete page 1.  Unfortunately, at this time, you will need to scroll to the end of several more pages, selecting “Next”, until the final page when you select “Submit.” 

Please reference the List of Acceptable Documents.  You are required to bring to the HR office the original document of either one (1) item from List A OR one (1) item from List B AND one (1) item from List C.  Expired documents are not accepted.  

Direct Deposit:
The University requires all employees to participate in direct deposit.  In addition to completing the Direct Deposit Enrollment and Change Form, we will also need either a voided check, a photocopy of a voided check, or a letter from your bank with the routing and account numbers.

Additional Paperwork:

Schedule an In-Person Meeting:
Please schedule a time to visit the HR Office – 217 Phillips Hall – with your completed paperwork and Form I-9 document(s). 

**Do NOT email your completed forms since they contain sensitive identifying information**


International students working for the first time with UNC Asheville must contact the Global Studies Coordinator before working.


Returning Student Employees

  • You need to sign the Student Employment Agreement (SEA) when you receive it.
  • You do not need to complete the direct deposit, NC-4, W-4, and Form I-9 again, unless you are making changes.
  • If you are paid on an hourly basis, you need to complete your timesheet in accordance with the Bi-Weekly Payroll Calendar.  For additional assistance, contact your supervisor.


For additional questions, please contact:
Regina Holmes, Student & Temporary Employment Coordinator
Phone: 828.251.6606