Student Employment Supervisor Information

Dining Services (Chartwells) and the Bookstore also hire student employees.  Those students are employees of Chartwells or the Bookstore and are not considered UNC Asheville student employees.


Hiring a Student Employee

  1. Advertise your position through the Career Center‘s Bulldog NetWORK webpage.
  2. Identify a student employee and complete the Student Employment Agreement (SEA).
  3. Review your student employee’s timesheet on a bi-weekly basis.


Student Employment Agreement (SEA)

  • All positions should be paid hourly.  In rare cases, a flat-rate payment may be appropriate. Please contact Human Resources for approval prior to submitting the SEA when considering a flat-rate payment.
  • International students working for the first time with UNC Asheville must contact the Global Studies Coordinator before working.
  • The student is not authorized to work if they do not have a completed Form I-9 on file.
    • The student may not work if the Student Employment Agreement does not indicate the I-9 Status of Received as shown below.


How to View the Status of the SEA

  • Sign in to OnePort
  • Select “Dyanmic Forms” from the left side menu.
  • Select “My Forms” at the upper right page.

  • Select “Pending / Draft Froms” or “Forms History” to view in process forms or completed forms, respectively.

  • If the Status is “Pending” with HR, this is more than likely because the student has not completed the Form I-9 and therefore, is not legally authorized to work.


Student Employment Dates

Start and end dates on student employment agreements may vary depending on the needs of the department; however, there are some guidelines that must be followed:

  • For non-Federal Work Study positions, the end date on these agreements cannot extend past the student’s graduation date.
  • For Federal Work Study positions, agreement start dates cannot begin prior to the first day of classes and end dates cannot extend beyond the last day of exams.


Student Employment Change Form

The supervisor is responsible for submitting a Student Employment Change Form to Payroll if any of the following events occur:

  • A student’s job is terminated prior to the end date on the SEA.
  • The funding source for a job change, including Federal Work Study.
  • The student’s timesheet needs to be routed to a new supervisor.


Summer & Winter Break Student Employment

  • To be eligible for student employment during academic year breaks, an undergraduate or graduate student must be degree-seeking and enrolled for the following semester.
  • Students are able to work forty (40) hours per week during summer employment.  Students are not permitted to work overtime (over 40 hours per week).
  • Health Insurance –
    • If a student is scheduled to work 30 or more hours per week, for 90 or more days, then the student is eligible to participate in the High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP).
    • There is a monthly cost for the department.
    • To maintain compliance with Federal law, supervisors should notify Human Resources as soon as possible if a student meets the qualifications by emailing


For Reference:

Information for New Students
Federal Work Study
Student Payroll


For additional questions, please contact:
Human Resources or (828) 251-6605