The UNC System’s SHRA Performance Appraisal Program aligns performance management practices amongst the University of North Carolina System institutions. The program places emphasis on both institutional goals and individual goals, standardizes the categories for evaluation, and promotes effective communication between employees and supervisors.
The program uses a standardized 3-point rating scale:
(3) Exceeding Expectations
(2) Meeting Expectations
(1) Not Meeting Expectations
All employees hired on or before October 1, 2022 are required to have a completed evaluation.
Guiding Policies and Forms:
- SHRA Performance Management Form (Use this fillable PDF form to complete the entire performance appraisal Parts 1-10. This version contains logic that will auto-populate fields based on your entries, contains hyperlinks to instructions and policy, and will calculate the final overall rating). Make sure to download the form, save the PDF form and open with Adobe Acrobat in order to save your entries. Check your settings to ensure that Adobe Acrobat is the default application when opening pdf files and not a browser.
- Instructions for Completing Evaluation
- SHRA Employee Performance Management Policy
- Summary of Key Policy Elements
- Institutional Goals
- SHRA Performance Management Training
Important Performance Management Deadlines:
|Apr. 1 – May 15||Supervisor completes and reviews evaluation with employee.|
Evaluations may be signed and emailed electronically for FY2022-2023.
|May 15||Performance Evaluation Forms due to Human Resources|
|After Evaluation is Complete||Once the 2022-2023 evaluation is complete, please create a new Performance Plan for the2023-2024 cycle outlining new performance goals using the SHRA Performance Management Form (pages 1-4).|
Training/ Review Sessions:
The following times are scheduled for SHRA performance management training/review sessions. These sessions are open to both Staff and Supervisors.
Thursday – April 13 from 1:30pm-2:30pm
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 961 9377 6419
Thursday – April 20 from 10:00am-11:00am
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 974 4962 7290
Supervisory duties to close out the performance cycle includes:
- Make sure that the total weight of the Institutional Goals section is equal to 50%.
- Make sure that the total weight of the Individual Goals section is equal to 50%.
- Each institutional and individual goal should have a rating of 3, 2, or 1, do not use decimals.
- Use the SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound) method when developing Individual Goals.
- Review Institutional and Individual goals and rate the employee based on their performance .
- Determine a final overall rating. Rating will calculate automatically when using the form linked above.
- Present the evaluation to the next level supervisor for review and signature (prior to meeting with employee).
- Schedule a private meeting with the employee and provide feedback about their performance throughout the cycle. The employee should be provided with a copy of the evaluation and rating.
Employee participation should include:
- Meeting with your supervisor for your annual appraisal.
- Discuss your achievements, accomplishments and development goals with your supervisor.
- Listen to and seek to understand your supervisor’s feedback.
- Discuss any concerns that you may have regarding your ratings or your supervisor’s comments.
Evaluations should be electronically signed and submitted to Chelsea Muken in the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.