The UNC System's SHRA Performance Appraisal Program aligns perfomance management practices amongst the University of North Carolina System institutions. The program places emphasis on both institutional goals and individual goals, standardizes the categories for evaluation, and promotes effective communication between employees and supervisors.
The program uses a standardized 3-point rating scale:
(3) Exceeding Expectations
(2) Meeting Expectations
(1) Not Meeting Expectations
The annual performance evaluation period for SHRA Staff is from April 1 - March 31. All employees hired on or before October 1, 2018 are required to have a completed evaluation. All employees active six (6 months) or more in the cycle - this includes employee transfers, as of March 31, MUST receive a written annual appraisal, which will include an overall performance rating fro the cycle.
Guiding Policies and Forms:
- SHRA Performance Management Form (Use this fillable PDF form to complete the entire performance appraisal Parts 1-10. This version contains logic that will auto-populate fields based on your entries, contains hyperlinks to instructions and policy, and will calculate the final overall rating). Make sure to download the form, save the PDF form and open with Adobe Acrobat in order to save your entries. Check your settings to ensure that Adobe Acrobat is the default application when opening pdf files and not a browser.
- SHRA Performance Management Form - Only Parts 7-10 (Use this fillable PDF form to complete only Parts 7-10 of the performance appraisal if you already have a plan in place for 2018-2019 within a separate document. This version contains logic that will auto-populate some fields and calculate the final overall rating). Make sure to download the form, save the PDF form and open with Adobe Acrobat in order to save your entries. Check your settings to ensure that Adobe Acrobat is the default application when opening pdf files and not a browser.
- Instructions for Completing Evaluation
- SHRA Employee Performance Management Policy
- Summary of Key Policy Elements
- Institutional Goals
NOTE: Evaluation and final ratings should be discussed with next level supervisor or Dean prior to sharing with the employee. Performance Evaluations are to be submitted to your division's Senior Staff member (Vice Chancellor, Provost, Athletic Director) by the close of business on April 30, 2019.
Information Sessions Are Available:
Performance Management training/review sessions have been scheduled as follows. We encourage you to attend one of the performance management training/review sessions, especially if you have questions regarding completion of the performance evaluation.
To register for one of these sessions, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuesday, April 2, 2019 from 12:00 – 1:00 in Highsmith 125
- Friday, April 5, 2019 from 9:00 - 10:00 in Highsmith 223
- Monday, April 8, 2019 from 2:30 – 3:30 in Brown 217
- Tuesday, April 9, 2019 from 9:00 – 10:00 in Brown 217
- Thursday, April 11, 2019 from 10:30 – 11:30 in Brown 217
Informal Drop-in Session
- Thursday, April 25 from 11:00am – 12:30pm – Phillips Hall 107
Important Performance Management Deadlines:
Submit Completed 2018-2019 Performance Evaluation to Division Senior Staff Member
May 1 -17
Senior Staff Review Performance Evaluations
Performance Evaluations Due to Human Resources
Supervisors of SHRA Staff - Establish New Performance Plan for 2019-2020
Supervisory duties to close out the performance cycle includes:
- Make sure that the total weight of the Institutional Goals section is equal to 50%.
- Make sure that the total weight of the Individual Goals section is equal to 50%.
- Use the SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound) method when developing Individual Goals.
- Review Institutional and Individual goals and rate the employee based on their performance .
- Determine a final overall rating.
- Present the evaluation to the next level supervisor for review and signature (prior to meeting with employee).
- Schedule a private meeting with the employee and provide feedback about their performance throughout the cycle. The employee should be provided with a copy of the written appraisal and rating.
Employee participation should include:
- Meeting with your supervisor for your annual appraisal.
- Discuss your achievements, accomplishments and development goals with your supervisor.
- Listen to and seek to understand your supervisor's feedback.
- Discuss any concerns that you may have regarding your ratings or your supervisor's comments.
If you have any questions regarding SHRA Performance Management, please contact the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com or (828) 350-6605.