Workers Compensation

The Workers' Compensation Program is designed to assist any employee who suffers injury through an accident or occupational disease arising out of, and in the course of, his or her employment, according to the provisions of the North Carolina Workers' Compensation Act. This act applies to all university employees, whether full-time, part-time, or temporary.

The UNC Asheville's Workers' Compensation Administrator works in the Office of Human Resources. Their role is to ensure that injured employees receive the appropriate level of care and compensation in accordance with state law, and that the workers' compensation program is well coordinated with any state benefit programs for which the employee is eligible

Reporting Injuries

When a life-threatening job-related injury or illness occurs, immediately contact University Police (ext. 6710 or 251-6710); if unable to contact campus police or if incident occurs off-campus call 911. Give details of the occurrence (i.e. type of injury or illness, when, where and how).

In the case of a non-life-threatening emergency, notify a supervisor immediately. The supervisor will determine whether emergency care is needed, call Campus Police and begin the injury reporting process. Campus Police will contact UNC Asheville's Environmental Health and Safety Officer, who may also respond to the accident and will conduct follow-up investigations.

It is important to report a work-related injury, accident or illness immediately, no matter how insignificant the incident may seem. Supervisors are responsible for recording all incidents, including those requiring no treatment or only first aid treatment (such as antiseptics and bandages, etc.) on the departmental First Aid Log.

If you need medical care for your non-emergency work-related injury, accident or illness, you need to go to an approved medical provider. Please contact the UNC Asheville Workers' Compensation Administrator for referral to an approved medical provider.

Have questions?

Read the full Worker's Compensation Handbook.